Waste can be broadly defined into four separate categories:
- Animal waste (manure)
- Household waste (general rubbish)
- Food waste (both household and supermarket waste)
- Commercial waste (tyres, glass, paper)
Many processes which generate power from waste produce methane through an anaerobic digestion process. Our machines are commonly used through this digestion process to clean and pressurise the methane ready for generating power. This is very similar to the process we have perfected in the sewage industry – where our machines have been operating for over 70 years and uses the same anaerobic digestion as waste.
Northey have also been involved with pyrogas projects, burning other types of waste to produce energy. The great advantage of the Northey product is its robustness – with no vanes to clog, or oil which may get contaminated it is the perfect product to deal with dirty and corrosive gasses often given off by these processes.
Two Anaerobic Digestion (AD) processing plants have been developed in Greater Manchester as part of the largest waste and recycling contract in Europe.
Northey were sub-contracted for the Design, Manufacture, Installation, Testing, Dry and Wet Commissioning of two Skid Mounted Air Blower Packages and four Digester Gas Mixing Compressor Packages (duty & standby).
Key features of the Northey package include:
- Each package comprises dry, oil-free, positive displacement rotary compressors, drive motors, inlet filters, safety valve and switches.
- The compressors are purpose built for the specific duty and use the unique Northey rotor shape.
- The rotors do not require lubrication and run without mechanical contact, making them oil free, ensuring no contamination of the process gas.
- The digester skids also include Northey closed circuit water-cooling systems.
- All packages and associated equipment are fully compliant with PED and ATEX